Voting & Election Information

Election graphic


Voting for the general election in November can be done in person on Election Day, in person via early voting, and through the vote-by-mail system.

If you have additional questions, call our Borough Clerk at 973-403-6029 or the County Clerk at 973-621-4921.

  • April 10, 2024: Deadline to file Change of Party Affiliation Declaration Forms for Primary Election with County Commissioner of Registration
  • May 14, 2024: Voter Registration Deadline for Primary Election
  • May 28, 2024: Deadline to apply for a mail in ballot by mail for primary election
  • May 29 - June 2, 2024: In-Person Early Voting Period, Monday-Saturday, 10 am – 8 pm / Sunday, 10 am – 6 pm
  • June 3, 2024 at 3pm: Deadline for in-person mail-in-ballot application for primary election
  • June 4, 2023 at 8pm: Deadline for in-person submission of primary mail-in-ballots to County Boards of Election
  • June 4, 2024: Primary Election Day with Polls Open from 6am to 8pm.
  • October 15, 2024: Voter Registration Deadline for General Election
  • October 26 – November 3, 2024: In-Person Early Voting Period, Monday-Saturday, 10 am – 8 pm / Sunday, 10 am – 6 pm
  • October 29, 2024: Deadline to apply for a Vote-by-Mail Ballot by Mail for General Election
  • November 4, 2024 at 3pm: Deadline for in-person mail-in-ballot application for General Election
  • November 5, 2024 at 8pm: Deadline for in-person submission of General Election Mail-In Ballots
  • November 5, 2024: Election Day - Polls are open from 6:00am-8:00pm

The Borough Clerk is available on all Election days to answer questions and assist Essex County Officials in ensuring that each election runs as smoothly as possible.

You Can Register to Vote if:

  • You are a United States citizen
  • You will be 18 years of age by the next election
  • You will be a resident of the State and county 30 days before the election
  • You are NOT currently serving a sentence, probation or parole because of a felony conviction

Board of Elections Information

Visit The Essex County Board Of Elections Page

Am I Registered to Vote? 

To find out if you are already registered to vote please call either the Essex County Board of Elections at (973) 621-5070 or the Borough Clerk’s Office at (973)-403-8080

Polling Location Information

  • District #1 will vote at the All Purpose Room at 19 Harrison Avenue.
  • District #2 will vote at the Roseland First Aid Squad Building at 300 Eagle Rock Avenue, behind the Public Works Building.
  • District #3 will vote at the Roseland First Aid Squad Building at 300 Eagle Rock Avenue, behind the Public Works Building.
  • District #4 will vote at the All Purpose Room at 19 Harrison Avenue.
  • District #5 will vote at the Roseland Public Library, located at 20 Roseland Avenue.
  • District #6 will vote at the Roseland Public Library, located at 20 Roseland Avenue.

Where do I vote? 

Click Here to find out where to vote in your District, or call the Clerk’s Office at (973) 403-6024.

Early voting locations (as of 2023) are the following locations within Essex County:

  • Watsessing Park Community Center, Bloomfield Avenue & Conger Street in Bloomfield
  • East Orange City Hall, 44 City Hall Plaza in East Orange
  • Fairfield Community Center, 221 Hollywood Ave in Fairfield
  • Irvington Municipal Center, 1 Civic Sq., in Irvington
  • New Education Center at South Mountain Recreation Complex, 560 Northfield Ave. in West Orange
  • Verona Community Center, 880 Bloomfield Avenue in Verona
  • Essex County Complex Parking Garage, West Market Street Entrance in Newark
  • Steve Adubato Sports Complex, Branch Brook Park Building #24 in Newark
  • West Side Parking Community Center, 600 South 17th Street in Newark

How and Where to Register to Vote? 

Applications for registration can be obtained from the following:

NJ Division of Elections
P.O. Box 304
Trenton, NJ 08625-0304

Essex County Commissioner of Registration
Hall of Records Room 429
465 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
Newark, NJ 07102

Municipal Clerk's Office 
140 Eagle Rock Avenue
Roseland, NJ 07068

You may also print a registration application and after entering required data, mail it to the Commissioner of Registration Office address shown below. In addition, this form can be used for name and address changes. The Commissioner of Registration cannot accept faxed copies or an electronic transmission of a voter registration form since an original signature is required. The registrant must download the form and send the hard copy to the Commissioner of Registration. The registration deadline to vote at the next election is 21 days prior to election day.

The Voter Registration Applications can be either dropped off at the Borough Clerk’s Office or mailed to:

Essex County Commissioner of Registration
Hall of Records Room 429
465 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
Newark, NJ 07102

How, When, and Where Can I Change My Party Affiliation? 

A registered voter desiring to affiliate with a party or change their party affiliation must file a new registration application, marking the appropriate box at the top of the form indicating that they are making a party affiliation change. These forms are also available at the Borough Clerk’s Office or at your local Commissioner of Registration Office. Once completed the form must be mailed or delivered to:

Essex County Commissioner of Registration
Hall of Records Room 429
465 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
Newark, NJ 07102

If you have not previously declared your party affiliation you may do so at the polls when you go to vote in your first Primary Election. After that, you may change your party affiliation or change to unaffiliated by filing out the change form no later than 55 days before a primary election.

If you are a registered member of the Green Party, Libertarian Party, Natural Law Party, Reform Party, U.S. Constitution Party or the Conservative Party, you can participate in the convention of that party, according to its bylaws, but you cannot vote in either the Democratic or Republican Primary.

If you are a previously affiliated voter who becomes unaffiliated, you must file the declaration form no later than 55 days before the primary in order vote in either primary.

A newly registered voter, an unaffiliated voter or a voter who has never voted in a primary election, can affiliate with the Democratic or Republican Party on the day of the primary.

How Do I Obtain a Vote-by-Mail Application? 

The State of New Jersey has updated the law for absentee voting to now be “Vote By Mail.” This change in the law now makes it easier for you, the voter, to cast your ballot. You now have the option to receive mail-in ballots for all elections in a calendar year, or a mail-in ballot for all future November General Elections. A voter may apply for the Vote By Mail ballot by completing an Application and mailing the application to:

Christopher J. Durkin 
Essex County Clerk 
P.O Box 690
Newark, NJ 07102

Applications are also available at the County Clerk’s Office and the Borough Municipal Clerk’s Office

Your application must be received seven (7) days prior to the election if sent via mail. You can also apply in person the Essex County Clerk’s Office up until 3:00 pm the day before the election. Only active duty military and voters residing overseas may apply by fax or e-mail. All other voters must apply in writing, with original signature. If you applied for a Vote By Mail Ballot and did not receive or return the ballot, you may vote by provisional ballot at the polls.

How Can I Check the Status of My Vote-by-Mail To Ensure It Arrived and Was Counted? 

Start by visiting and signing into your personal My Voter Record account. If you do not currently have an account, you can create one easily by clicking here.

Once you log in, you will be able to see if your mail-in-ballot has been sent to you or if your voted ballot has been received by your county’s Board of Elections. Make sure you VOTE, SIGN, SEAL and RETURN your mail-in ballot to ensure that your vote is counted.

Keep in mind that voter statuses are updated on Track My Ballot by each individual county. Therefore, the time it takes for updates to be posted can vary from county to county. Check back periodically for updates to your status. 

How can I be taken off the mail-in ballot list for future elections?

Voters that wish to no longer receive a mail-in ballot for elections need to fill out this form and either mail it back to the Essex County Clerk's Office (P.O. Box 690, Newark, NJ 07102-0690) or email

I have recently moved and did not change my address with the Essex County Board of Elections, where do I vote? 

The voter is to go to the polling place of the voting district to which the voter has moved to get permission to vote through the provisional voting procedure. The District Board worker shall receive verification from the Board of Elections or the Superintendent of Elections to confirm that the voter is indeed a registered voter in the county.

If the voter’s registration is confirmed, the voter makes a written affirmation regarding the change of address. The District Board worker provides provisional ballot and affirmation statement to the voter for completion. The affirmation statement constitutes a transfer to the registrant’s new residence for any subsequent election and no further action for change of address is required.

If the voter’s registration in NOT confirmed, the voter will not be permitted to vote. The voter has the right to go to Superior Court and obtain a Court Order to permit them to vote.

If Myself or a Family Member Who Lives in Roseland is Overseas or Serving in the Military, How Can They Vote? 

According to the NJ Secretary of State's Office, here are the definitions of the voters entitled to use these options:

Military Voters

  • A military voter is a voter who is absent from his or her New Jersey residence on election day; and is entitled to vote whether he or she is living elsewhere in New Jersey (i.e. a military installation), outside of New Jersey or outside the United States.
  • A "military voter" includes New Jersey citizens who are members of the Uniformed Services, Merchant Marine, Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
  • A spouse or dependent of a member of the military or other uniformed services is also considered to be a "military voter".

Overseas Voters

  • An "overseas voter" is a voter who is living outside of the United States and who was residing in New Jersey immediately prior to departure.

Note: The overseas voter need not have been registered to vote in New Jersey prior to going outside of the United States, but must have been domiciled in New Jersey and have possessed the qualifications to register and vote in New Jersey.

If you or a family member fit these qualifications, read more here.

I Want to Assist the Day of the Election and Become a Poll Worker. How Do I Do That?

All of New Jersey’s counties, in partnership with the Department of State, Division of Elections, are actively seeking residents to serve as poll workers for each General Election. Learn more about eligibility and steps on the Secretary of State's website.